Thursday, February 26, 2009

Homemade Refried Beans

1/2 onion, peeled and halved
1-1/2 cups and 2 tablespoons dry pinto beans, rinsed
1/2 can rotel
2 tablespoon and 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
2-3/4 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin, optional
4-3/4 cups water

Place the onion, rinsed beans, rotel, garlic, salt, pepper, and cumin into a slow cooker. Pour in the water and stir to combine. Cook on High for 8 hours, adding more water as needed. Note: if more than 1 cup of water has evaporated during cooking, then the temperature is too high. I haven't had to add any water when making these beans.
Once the beans have cooked, strain them, and reserve the liquid. Mash the beans with a food processor, adding the reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency. I also save some of the beans whole to give them a little texture.
Yields: 8 servings
I got the original recipe for Refried Beans Without the Refry from allrecipes.com but have changed it up some to make it my own. I love to play with recipes instead of sticking to the original.
Enjoy!!

2 comments:

Katie said...

This sounds great! My hubby loves refried beans, so I'll definitely have to give this a try! Thanks for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

Refried Beans without the Refry - that cracks me up. Thanks for posting the recipe! Can't wait to try it. We love refried beans.
Nikki